24 Feb 10 Benefits Of Having Your Kids Join 4H
4H is a youth organization for children ages 8-18 whose mission statement is, “engaging youth to reach their fullest potential while advancing the field of youth development.” The name 4H comes from their original motto of “head, heart, hands, and health.” They offer a variety of programs in science, healthy living, and civic engagement through a network of public universities, professionals, and volunteers throughout the US. They also offer programs online. So why should you consider your child joining 4H?
10 Benefits Of Joining 4H
- Leadership – 4H teaches youth leadership skills through experiences that develop confidence, independence, and self-esteem that carries into adulthood helping mold our future leaders across the country.
- Civic Engagement – 4H members get the chance to be heavily involved in a wide array of community events. Check-in with the 4H office in your area to get a list of upcoming events.
- Self Esteem – Nothing builds self-esteem better than accomplishment. Your child will have all kinds of opportunities to learn with hands-on experiences. Adult mentors are there to guide and encourage youths to learn from their failures and successes.
- STEM – 4H offers hands-on activities for youths in robotics, computer science, and other Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mechanical (STEM) fields. Your child can also use 4H’s STEM Lab which is online and has activities that can be done home or anywhere.
- Agriculture – These are the programs that 4H might be best known for. With 4H youths can learn about animal and plant science. They offer programs in forestry, livestock, and gardening.
- Diversity – 4H is open to every child with no national fees and programs that your child can select that will fit into your budget. Clubs meet at school or locally usually about once a month. 4H offers many projects that can be found on their website that can be done at home. They also have camps with children from other areas giving your child a chance to meet friends that will last a lifetime. They have worked to make access to 4H available to any youth anywhere.
- Healthy Living – 4H promotes and educates youths on the importance of having a healthy mind and body. This improves overall well-being and empowers children to have strength to be able to conquer life’s challenges.
- Participation – 4H offers many chances for youth to compete against other youth within their programs with an emphasis on sportsmanship. That is one of the reasons 4H isn’t offered for children 5-8 years old. Studies show that competition among children that young might not be healthy for them.
- Work Ethic – 4H is not an organization that is about sitting in a room and just chatting. Their programs are hands-on so your child will be doing whatever program they choose.
- Educational Opportunities – 4H offers many classes both through their local offices and through universities in their network. They also offer many scholarships for youth that are continuing their education after high school.